Re: USB mass storage and kernel 2.4.18

Hi, All

I've a 64M USB flash disk. I searched the internet, and did the following steps:

1. plug USB disk into my PC
2. modprobe sg usb-storage

Then I tried to mount it:
  mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

But a messages said `/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device'.

Then I checked this file:

3. cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached device: none

I use the stock kernel image of debian:
uname -r
2.4.18-686

I also found some info that said kernel 2.4.18 had some problem in USB. Is that true? If yes, I'll have to compile another version of Linux kernel. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

best regards,
Dai Yuwen

This is the line I have in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1       /smartmedia     auto    rw,user,noauto   0 0

I also run a stock kernel (2.4.18-bf2.4).

Some times I get the error you are referring to. I usually just call a 'umount /smartmedia' (followed by the error that it is not mounted) and then I mount it again. Failing that, I unplug the card reader and plug it back in. That always works, if it it did not work the first time.

-Roberto Sanchez