Re: RPM and db3

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:34:23AM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
> When I try to run rpm to install an RPM package (yeah, I know), I get
> the following errors, and rpm does nothing:
>
> error: Cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory
> (2)
> error: Cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>
> This is Debian 3.0r1, with rpm, libdb3 and most other *db3 packages
> installed. Any ideas why this is happening and what can be done about
> it?

GOOD $DEITY.  Do not ever, ever, EVER use rpm on a Debian system.  If
you really, truly cannot get a .deb or tarball of the package, then use
alien to convert the RPM to a .deb and install that.  Even if you try to
force RPM to work, you're going to confuse dpkg mightily ;)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/