Re: libfam0c102 kills 182 KDE3 packages

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003 10:45, Victor Torrico wrote:
> Running KDE3 woody debian packages downloaded from kde site.  Works great.
>
> In order to run nautilus and yelp in gnome2 I need libgnomevfs2-0 and
> libgnomevfs2-common which depends on libfam0c102.
>
> When I execute "apt-get install libfam0c102 libgnomevfs2-0
> libgnomevfs2-common" these would all install OK however they would also
> remove all 182 kde3 packages.
>
> How can I keep kde3 installed and still run nautilus and yelp?  Wassup?

I notice that the libfam package name was recently changed (I think from
libfam0 to libfam0cxxx).  I suspect that your KDE 3 packages depend on the
old package name (libfam0) and the GNOME 2 packages depend on the new package
name (libfam0c102).  I also suspect that the new package superseeds or
obsoletes (or whatever the Debian package term is) the old one, so installing
libfam0c102 is attempting to remove libfam0.

If this is the case, you might like to see if there's a flag you can use to
dpkg or apt-get to make it install them side-by-side (of course this is not
an ideal solution).  You should probably confirm whether what I have stated
is correct and then inform the maintainer of the KDE packages that the
dependency name has changed.

I'm CCing the Debian FAM package maintainer to see if he knows what's going on
and how to resolve this problem.

HTH

--
Michael Wardle