Jerky Mouse

I've got a Microtel mini-ITX motherboard with a PS/2 mouse port on the
back. A cheapo wheel mouse came with the machine, and worked for a
while, then became jerky in X, and likewise in the console (gpm). I
replaced it with another (almost new) wheel mouse, same story. So then I
replaced that with a straight PS/2 genuine Microsoft mouse (no wheel).
Same answer. Before you asked, I change the protocol in the X config
file to PS/2 when I changed to the non-wheel mouse. It was IMPS/2
before. I also rebooted in between.

I'd rather not go to a serial mouse. Anyone have a clue? Need more data?

Paul