Preserving file attributes across upgrades

Hello all,

I normally keep /usr/bin/cdrecord and /usr/bin/cdrdao as so:
-rwxr-s---    1 root     cdrom

This lets me add users to the cdrom group, so they can burn CDs as
users, and I don't have to either give them the root password or set up
sudo for these occasions.  In the last couple of days, cdrdao has had a
couple of updates (in sid), and I've had to reset the permissions on
/usr/bin/cdrdao each time.  This finally tickled a nagging itch of mine,
so I'm asking now.  Am I missing something, or is there currently no way
to keep special permission setups like mine across upgrades?

TIA,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "When the going gets weird, the weird   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | turn pro..." -- Hunter S. Thompson      |