Re: A7M266-D CM8738 problems: Pcm control of various mixers don't work

Daniel Barclay <dsb@smart.net> writes:

> Is anyone familar with this problem?:
>
> Since I've upgraded from a system with a SoundBlaster 16 to a A7M266-D
> motherboard with an on-board C-Media CM8738 chip, the Pcm control of
> mixer programs (tkmixer, aumix, wmmixer, kmix) no longer work.

I have this motherboard and am using the onboard sound.

I don't have the mixers you mention installed, but I do have
gnome-volume-control (aka gmix) and xmixer.  Some simple test by
bringing up these two and doing "cat /etc/passwd > /dev/audio" show
that adjusting "PCM" adjusts the volume.

(I am using the topmost of the three jacks for sound output if that
makes any difference.  Not sure if it can be used any other way.)

> Also, no control besides the master volume control affect the volume
> of audio from the computer.  (The CD slider does work for the volume
> of audio directly from the CD-ROM drive.)

> Additionally, the overall output volume seems a little low, as if
> there is a PCM mixer setting (in the hardware) that is initialized to
> less than a full-scale value

Yes.  I get this too.  I think it is there to give you a little room
to increase volume.

> I'm currently using a 2.4 kernel with the cmpci module.

I am using 2.4.20.

> Is there any special setup for the CM8738 that I should be aware of?

I didn't do anything special.  I am using the kernel stock driver.

--
Johan KULLSTAM