postgreSQL install - user password

I've been using MySQL but have been wanting to give postgreSQL a try, so
I apt-get installed it today.  The install went smooth and automatically
created a user postgres for me.

As I dig through the docs, I find that I need to su postgres in order to
create other users. Problem is that if I su postgres, I get queried for
a password.  I've tried the obvious, including nothing, but haven't got
in as postgres yet.

I feel a bit foolish posting this, as I must have missed something at
some point.  Any pointers to get me back on track would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner