can't print euro symbol in text files

that's not a question about displaying euro. I perfecly see the euro
symbol both in console and X and my locale (iso-8859-15) is ok.

I'm using sarge and I print with cups with my hp930c deskjet (using
dj670 cupsomatic ppd driver). everything works great but I can't print
the euro symbol (€) in text files using lp.

example:
echo "euro test €" | lp
prints euro test and the strange currency symbol (like the "o" letter
with 4 pins) but no euro.

If I create a file (echo "euro test €" > print-test), open it with
galeon and print it it works even if Galeon prints via the same command
(lp)!!!

I have no idea about how to fix this problem. I've searched google but
found nothing.
I tried setting cups charset to iso-8859-15 and language to it (italy)
but without succes.

anybody would give me some hints?

thanks
--