Re: "debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:09:29AM -0600, Jeff Hahn wrote:
> One quick question to get me going a little better...  How do you install
> services (apache, samba, whatever) and NOT have them start on system
> startup?

Go into /etc/rc?.d/ (where ? is a number, 2 is the default runlevel)
and look around.  You probably can figure out what each service each
file belongs to, however, the numbers and the capital letter may be
confusing.

The numbers in the filenames indicate the order of which the commands
are executed.  The capital letter represents whether that service will
be (S)tarted or (K)illed when switching to that runlevel, if they're
not already in the state they'll be changed to.

To make gdm not start on boot, you can either try purging it, or
rename /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm to /etc/rc2.d/K99gdm

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user