Re: "debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

Jeff Hahn wrote:

I'm setting up a "test" debian server (contemplating a move of several
redhat boxes)

I'm having a few problems dealing with the distribution differences.  I
assume I'll be able to work those out.

One quick question to get me going a little better...  How do you install
services (apache, samba, whatever) and NOT have them start on system
startup?

In RedHat, this is done with chkconfig.  I've got a number of services
installed that aren't configured and I certainly don't want them running at
startup.

If I see that blankety-blank GDM login on bootup again, I'll .............

Thanks a bunch for any help...

-Jeff

The "official" answer is update-rc.d (see "man update-rc.d")but there are several ways of reaching your goal, such as manually renaming/moving/deleting the script in /etc/init.d that starts your service or renaming/moving/deleting those symlinks in /etc/rc[runlevel].d that link to that script (which is what update-rc.d essentially does), or addding "exit 0" as the first executable line in the script. This is for those services that run as daemons. If you have any that run from inetd, you'll need to edit /etc/inetd.conf (the appropriate tool for that is "update-inetd"). There are exceptions; for example, to not run the sshd server, you need a file named "/etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run"; the proper way to change this is to run "dpkg-reconfigure ssh". And I think session managers like gdm are controlled with "update-alternatives", but I just put an "exit 0" at the start of /etc/init.d/gdm to temporarily disable it.

Kent