Re: CPU usage on debian (was: Re: Memory usage on debian)

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:21:12PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On a sort of related point... writing a CD (at 28x), top shows 80-85%
> system CPU usage. That's with an Athlon 1800XP (1.53GHz). Feeling the
> heatsink, however, it's running as cool as it usually does. I reckon
> this must be because it's spending lots of time waiting on the IDE bus.

Yes.  We recently went through a *very* long thread about IDE
suckitude recently, specifically it's relationship to the RTC.  You
might notice your RTC drift by several minutes when burning a CD.

I wish I could find it in the archives, now...

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user