*install* the kernel was Re: GeForce4 MX

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 07:48:35PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Yes. There are a lot of things that don't make sense about debian on my
> laptop. Including why usb, parallel printing and cdburning won't work.

D'uh. I'd recompiled the kernel but not pointed lilo to the right bzImage.
Tonight I was able to get parallel printing working and my cdburner
working and have learned a LOT about kernel tweaking in the last couple
days because I kept thinking I'd loaded a kernel I hadn't. (Made me go
over the basics again and again.)

My last two unknowns are the wireless card (I really hope it does work
otherwise I have to leave the computer with the service techs who will
likely wipe out all my hard work and install XP); and USB. USB should be
fine now, but I haven't plugged anything in yet to test.

> Yes it really worked. But I was trying to restore something that used to
> be there, so it's possible I didn't need to do all the steps I did. But
> that's seriously what my notes say that I did. I definitely did not use
> dpkg-buildpackage. Never seen that before. me == newbie.

After I compiled the kernel (again) tonight I had re"make" the drivers.
All I had to do was "make" to get them to load (I couldn't just load
them). They still don't want to load even though they're in /etc/modules.
... but I got printing and cdburning to work so I"m willing to put up with
teh other irritations for now.

emma :)

--
Emma Jane Hogbin