Re: DOSEMU PROBS

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:53:16AM -0800, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've got some probs with dosemu;
> First I installed a dosemu from elsewhere but I
> couldn't get it to work so I removed it;
> I didn't install the debian version the first time
> because apt-get kept saying it couldn't find it (How
> can I make it find more packages such as dosemu ??)
>
> Anyway when I enter "dosemu" I get this
>
> --------------------------
>
>    DOSEMU will run on _this_ terminal.
>    To exit you need to execute 'exitemu' from within
> DOS,
>    because <Ctrl>-C and 'exit' won't work!
>
>    Note, that DOS needs 25 lines and xterm per default
> has only 24,
>    so you might want to enlarge it before continuing.
>

>    Hint: if you want $HOME as DOS drive D:, use
> '-home' option
>
>    Now type ENTER to start DOSEMU or <Ctrl>C to
> cancel\n
>
> --------------------
>
> Hitting enter gets me here:
>
> --------------------
>
> Linux DOS emulator 1.0.2.1 $Date: 2001/10/13 $
> Last configured at Sat Mar 23 09:22:41 EST 2002 on
> linux
>
> Sorry, there is no operating system.
> Have a nice day!
>
> --------------------
>
> I've got no idea what this mess means - I do know the
> thing won't respond to anything after that :-(
>
> What should I do to get dosemu working ?

It's a prediction. It's telling you that you can't use DOS, so you're
going to have a nice day. :-)

Is it not the case that, for copyright reasons or similar, what dosemu
actually provides is an environment in which you can install an actual
DOS, and DOS then thinks it's running on its own PC? A virtual machine
thingy?

So, this is a slightly more friendly version of "Missing operating
system", and you have to install DOS in your dosemu.

I'd try it myself, but my dosemu .deb is broken (dodgy CD drive).

Pigeon