Re: cups foomatic problem - New Problem

This one time, at band camp, Thomas H. George said:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:23:56AM -0500, Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
> As yet no help on the old problem.  In the meantime:
>
> I have a third box in which I just installed Woody from the CD set,
> went on line (DSL) an ran dist-upgrade, then configured a 2.4.18 kernel,
> used apt-get to install cupsys, cupsomatic-ppd and foomatic-bin.  This
> box has an HP Deskjet 940c on /dev/lp0.  The above packages did not
> include a driver for the 940c so I downloaded two versions (old and new
> cups format) from www.linuxprinting.org - neither works!

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_940C but
I see you've been there.  They recommend the hpijs driver, so:
steve@gashuffer:~$ apt-cache show hpijs
Package: hpijs
Section: text
Installed-Size: 344
Maintainer: Torsten Landschoff <torsten@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.3-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1), libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>= 1:2.95.4-15), gs
(>= 6.53) | gs-esp (>= 7.05)
Filename: pool/main/h/hpijs/hpijs_1.3-2_i386.deb
Size: 130570
MD5sum: 02190137e0f1ec43880dae57e8c276bb
 This package contains the hpijs binary which provides Ghostscript
 with a driver for most inkjet manufactured by Hewlett Packard using
 the ijs interface.

Try that ans ee where it gets you - make sure when you're in the
webdamin interface for CUPS you choose the driver that's marked 'hpijs'
something or other.

> > My system is Debian Testing with a 2.4.20 kernel.  An Epson Stylus Color
> > printer is on usblp0.

I just tried this, with mixed results.  modprobe printer to get the
usblp0 part recognized.  Then proceed with the normal CUPS web admin -
if the usb subsystem is working, you'll get a list of USB ports, and one
should have the printer on it.  I'm using the gimp-print driver, and I'm
pretty pleased with it.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | APL is a natural extension of assembler |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | language programming; ...and is best    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | for educational purposes.   -- A.       |
|  			         | Perlis                                  |