Re: hard crash despite UPS

Ross Boylan said:
> My UPS, an APC BackUPS 650, seems ineffective under Linux.  Originally I
> thought this was because it could not cope with the load, but it works OK
> under MS-Windows.
>
> That is, when I pull the cord from the wall under Windows I get an alert
> the UPS is on battery.  When I do the same under Linux, the
> system powers off immediately (not a controlled shutdown).

so are you saying that when the UPS switches to battery the system
doesn't know and doesn't shut down? or are you saying that when you
pull the plug the system immediately shuts off without warning?

I personally use NUT(Network UPS Tools) which is available in woody,
has some nice features(though most of the nice ones aren't available
on a BackUPS, only Pro and Smart among others).

does apcupsd have any way to verify communications? NUT has a upsc command
which can spit out information about the UPS connected(either networked
or local). Maybe for some reason apcupsd is misconfigured, I've never
used it myself.

Have you tried APC's powerchute? I'm not sure about their recent versions
but have read one or 2 complaints in the past that they don't work on
Debian. I keep an older version around which works fine on debian 2.2
and 3.0 just incase I need to test. I put it here for now:

http://portal.aphroland.org/pc452_glibc.tar.bz2

it's a little clunky to install, but it does work, I wish NUT had some of
the features powerchute did such as all the various notification options
that Powerchute has, and being able to see the runtime in minutes.

Sample NUT output:
http://portal.aphroland.org/cgi-bin/nut/multimon.cgi

or, embedded in a webpage:
http://portal.aphroland.org/
(I hacked the script up quite a bit so it'd display HTML consistant with
being embedded in another html page)

or, as part of my home network monitoring setup:
http://monitor.aphroland.org

NUT also has the advantage of supporing many different kinds of UPSs
(brands/models). Probably a dozen or more ..I like it mostly for the
html status page, no need for a special client, or have to authenticate
against something to view the UPS status, and can view multiple UPSs at
the same time(at my former employer I monitored 10 SmartUPS units with
NUT).

nate