Re: GNOME == bloatware?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:05:20AM -0800, Steve Juranich wrote:

> So I'm wondering if I've got some binaries that aren't optimized for my
> system somehow, or this is just the state of GNOME.  If so, I'm going
> to take a serious second look at ditching the whole 'desktop
> environment' altogether and go with something like IceWM.

That seems to be about the state of things.  The "desktop environments"
are quite bulky.  There are quite a few nice things about them, but they
do take quite a bit of room (WRT to both HD and memory space).  I
wouldn't attempt to run any of the DEs on most of my systems.  However a
sensible combination of window manager and applications work fine.
Define the features that you need from your applications and then take a
look for applications that provide them with small foot prints.  You'll
be amazed at how little memory and drive space you need to consume.

--
Jamin W. Collins