problems with CDRW drive mounting CD-data

So my *newest* machine's motherboard died over the weekend, and I'm
trying to cannibalize it to make my old machine a bit better. Among the
things I've done is to take the 52x24x52 CD-RW drive, DVDROM drive, and
hard drive out and place them in my old machine. Current setup is:

Primary IDE Controller:
    Primary drive: DVDROM Drive
    Secondary drive: CD-RW Drive
Secondary IDE Controller:
    Primary drive: original 30GB HD
    Secondary drive: new 40GB HD

When I originally set up this computer, I couldn't get the CDRW that
was in it -- now long gone -- to work on ide1, so I threw my HD there.
Due to cable lengths, BIOS setup problems, and difficulties reaching
jumpers, this was the working configuration I ended up with.

On boot up, I have the following lines in my /etc/modules file:
    ide-cd ignore=/dev/hdb
    ide-scsi

This sets up the DVDROM drive to be an ide-cd drive and the CD-RW to
utilize ide-scsi (so I can burn CDs).

The DVDROM drive works perfectly (minus the DVD playback -- I need to
get the dxr3 DVD decoder card working, but that's on my todo list).

The CD-RW drive burns perfectly. However, when I try to mount a disc, it
causes errors, and goes into a kernel panic, requiring a hard reboot.
Basically, it spins as fast as it can, the system is immediately locked,
and the kernel panic happens within seconds.

My /etc/fstab entries for them look like:
    /dev/cdrom	    /cdrom		    iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0	0
    /dev/dvdrom	    /dvdrom		    iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0	0

/dev/cdrom *was* symlinked to /dev/sr0, which is in turn symlinked to
/dev/scd0. I just re-symlinked /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0, but haven't
tested that yet (I suspect there will be no change -- but I wanted to
*use* my computer today, and not go through another cycle of fs checks).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to write down the errors I see when
the kernel panic occurs -- I *think* they may mention something about
DMA. I haven't set DMA on /dev/hdb (I *have* on /dev/hda), but it's
possible that the BIOS is turning it on.

Any ideas on how to get the drive to mount CDs so I can use it in that
capacity?

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net