Re: How to change start up screen resolution for X?

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:

> anything else).  Second, you can change your font on the fly or via X
> resources or application default settings.

Indeed, I run a 20" Viewsonic 20G at the office here at 1600x1200.  My
xterms are set to use a 10x20 font, and I use icewm with the blueHeart
scheme.  Works very nicely for me, i can have 4 xterms open at roughly
80x25 size, or one huge one.

Recycled it off a CADD user who was complaining it was a) fuzzy b) rounded
screen.  Fixed the fuzzy with 10 minutes of work to open it up and adjust
the horizontal and vertical focus.  Rounded, I don't care about.

> An unpleasant trick of some monitor makers is to advertise high
> resolutions which are unusable in practice because of low refresh
> rates.

At home, my Sony(sgi branded) 20" gdm-20e20, can only do 65hz at the
maximum of 1600x1200.  Powertweak let me push my geforce2 gts to 65
instead of 60, but it's just too small inWindows.  On the bright side,
you can pick these up cheap on leases.(for about 100 bucks!)  Use the
Sony 20SE drivers in Windows, or get ahold of powertweak.

I usually work at 1280x960x75hz, as i find the non-squareness of 1280x1024
to be annoying.  I'm not sure how annoying it would be on an LCD panel,
which all of them seem to be stuck at that resolution.

Mike