firewire / hfs volumes (continued)

sorry about the last message

I run debian woody at work, and macos 9 at home.  I'd like to start
backing up both systems on an external ieee1394 drive (not yet
purchased).  I have two questions:

-does woody (running on x86) work stably with hfs volumes?  I seem to
 remember there were some issues areound it.
-If I get one large drive (I'm thinking 160gb) will woody be able to
 see all of it?  I know that there used to be some problems with the
 mac around large drives, but haven't found anything about linux
 andthis problem.
- (I guess this is 3) how would folks recommend I initialize and
 partition the drive?  From my mac, or from my woody box?

Thanks as always for your help!
matt