Xcdroast, cdrecord and SafeDisk Copy protection

I'm having trouble making backups of games I think are protected with Safedisk. The reason I backup these games (Battelfiled 1942 and Rogued Spear) is that I have to have the CD in the drive in order to host a game. After time the discs can get scratched to the point of not being recognized. When I tried to use Xcdroast to make backups the it spits out all these read sector errors in the log window. The drive is a Plextor 16-10-40 which is known to be able to copy these discs with the appropriate Windows Software.

Nick