Re: init scripts management

Francois Chenais wrote:

> 	Is there any "standard method" under debian to add/remove
> shell @ boot/shutdown time in /etc/rc.* directories ?
>
> 	Like chk-config under R.H. in fact.

As another poster mentioned update-rc.d is related to this.  But I
have to ask, what package do you want to enable or disable?

Having used Redhat et al I am very used to installing a package, then
needing to edit the init.d script to enable the script in different
boot time run levels, then running chkconfig to install the symlinks.
In that system doing that is just part of the install and something
every RH user gets used to doing.

But in Debian I have never needed to make any changes to the symlinks
that control boot time running of packages.  On Debian all of that
"just works".  I think it would be a bug if it did not.

Therefore if I may ask, which package in Debian is giving you trouble?
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding about how the package runs?

Bob