Kernel fallback

Back again so soon?

Hello all,
	I've been trying (and still am) to compile a 2.4.20 kernel with alsa modules
to enable my soundcard, as per the good advice given me earlier.  So far I've
tried the Debian way and the old fashioned way and I'm nearly there but not
quite - I now have a 2.4.20 kernel that doesn't work right as the default and
a 2.4.18 kernel in good order (apart from sound) that I can boot into from
lilo.  My question is - If I now try to install another kernel will my
current 2nd choice (2.4.18) disappear, and if so how do I stop it from doing
so as it's my only fully operational choice at present?

Does this question make any sense??

Thanks

Paul