Re: Ignoring ps's pid in ps

Mike Dresser <mdresser_l@windsormachine.com> writes:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a way to use the standard 'ps' to get a process
>> listing without showing the pid of that instance of 'ps' itself, WITHOUT
>> any piping being performed or auxiliary processes being done, and without
>> using a different utility, such as 'pgrep'?
>
> how close does
>
> ps --deselect come?

Well, perhaps ... but I can't figure out how to use it to get what I
want.  Suppose that I have several 'ps' instances running, and I do ...

  ps -C ps u

Let's use the term "my process" to refer to the process that gets
invoked by this command line.  Is there a way to use the --deselect
option to show all of the 'ps' instances except my process?

In other words, how would I distinguish my process from all the other
'ps' processes?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com