Re: Can't upgrade from slink to woody!

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 20:25, Pigeon wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 01:15:04PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 12:05, Pigeon wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just got a set of Woody CDs (thanks Gerald!) to upgrade my slink
> > > system. I've copied them all onto hard drives as iso images and
> > > loopback mounted them (read only) to avoid mucking around swapping CDs.
> > > I then  used apt-cdrom to add them all to /etc/apt/sources.list, and
> > > ran apt-get update. It gets 64% of the way through Reading Package
> > > Lists and then segfaults.
> > >
> > > This is of course the slink version of apt, 0.3.11.
> > > The CD-ROM entries in sources.list are the only ones there.
> > > As a wild guess I tried the cache-limit cure for "dynamic mmap ran out
> > > of room" on the theory that maybe an older version of apt didn't give
> > > such a useful error message. It made no difference; varying the limit
> > > didn't affect the 64%.
> > >
> > > I have also tried dselect, but its multi-cd access method doesn't seem
> > > to work; it only lets me tell it about one CD at a time.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on how to get either of these methods working? Since the C
> > > libraries will be upgraded I have no desire to upgrade by hand!
> >
> > Could you try updating to Potato first?  That way, you won't be
> > making such a huge version leap in almost every bit of software
> > in one step.
>
> Would I not then need a set of Potato CDs? (Doing it over dialup is
> not an option...)

Maybe a kind soul over on that side of the pond could burn them for
you and then Royal Mail them to you??

> But I can't upgrade to anything if apt-get update is gonna segfault on
> me!

Just guessing, but maybe it's segfaulting because some data or other
has changed format and is barfing apt.  Thus, "old data" may not
cause the problems?

Also, maybe it would just be best to do a fresh install, and promise
yourself that you'll never get so far behind again?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |