Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2003 #198

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 05:54:31PM -0800, CM Miller wrote:
[please keep the attributions in place]
> >> I like to do programming in the Linux environment
> >> cause I love VIM.  I can run VIM as root, but not
> as
> >> cmmiller.
>
> >I've never had that problem with vim.  What happens
> >when you try?
>
> I'm not getting any of the color coding that VIM does
> when programming GCC or GCC++.  But directories now
> blue and ./ files are now green.

If you want the colour coding, uncomment the line "syntax on" in
/etc/vim/vimrc (comments are preceded by '"').

> >> Also, I have been able to set .bashrc preferences
> as
> >> root, like "rm = rm -i".  This works for root, but
> >>not
> >> for my user cmmiller.
> >>
> >> How can I make these changes for cmmiller as well?
>
> >In ~cmmiller/.bash_profile uncomment:
>
>   >if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
>       source ~/.bashrc
>   >fi
>
> That did it, thanks, the aliases work now.  But what
> did I uncomment here?

.bashrc is used when starting non-login shells, .bash_profile is used
when starting login shells.  The if statement that you uncommented in
.bash_profile tells bash to include the contents of .bashrc, if it
exists.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com