Re: Can't start X with Nvidia [solved]

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 03:56:18AM -0500, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
   > On Sunday 19 January 2003 06:34, ajlewis2@intac.com wrote:
   > >
   > > My module is called nvidia and not NVdriver.  I think the problem
   > > is that you are loading a module called NVdriver and you have
   > > nvidia listed as the driver in the X config file.  Maybe try
   > > changing the Driver in X to NVdriver to see if that works.  Or I
   > > guess you could put an alias in so that nvidia would be the same
   > > as NVdriver.
   >
   > NVDriver is the linux kernel module.  nvidia is the X display driver.

This was the case in 1.0.3123 version of nvidia drivers. As of 1.0.4191,
both of them are nvidia.

In case anyone has similar problems, the latest version solved my
problem. Just downloaded the 1.0.4191 tgz's, did a make and make
install. X started just fine. Finally, I could play tuxracer :-D

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

The reason that every major university maintains a department of
mathematics is that it's cheaper than institutionalizing all those people.