Re: Can't start X with Nvidia

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 03:56, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> NVDriver is the linux kernel module.  nvidia is the X display driver.

I might be wrong (sure wouldn't be the first time) but I believe that
starting with 4191, the module is called nvidia.  Prior to 4191 the
module was called NVdriver.  I had a heck of a time getting 4191 to
work after switching from 3123 because of the module name change.

Running 4191 I show:

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
nvidia               1466944  10

and I'm pretty sure it used to say NVdriver there.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.  Perhaps I'm confusing the driver
and the module.  But there was definitely a change with the latest
version of the commercial nvidia driver and I definitely went through
h*ll getting it to work.  Ultimately, at least in my case, the problem
was that on my box that ran the newest version, I had in /etc/modules
"load nvidia" and on another box running an older version "load
NVdriver."
--
Dave W <nospam2@starband.net>