Re: xfig misbehaving (so is fig2dev)

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:35:58PM -0800, Steve Juranich wrote:
| One suggestion would be to mess around with the 'levels' that xfig
| provides.  It could be that your object is hiding on one of those
| other levels that isn't visible.

I deleted it with the "Delete" tool.  That shouldn't hide it on
another level.  (all the levels were visible too)

| Otherwise, I know you said that reading the spec wasn't an easy option,
| but I was able to write a Perl script that converted black lines to
| white lines (and vice versa, for converting for dark/light backgrounds
| like in the prosper package) after spending about 30 mins. with the
| spec.  There's really not much to it.

There's not a lot to it, but I thought tracking down how to rip out
only part of a compound without disturbing the rest of the figure
would be more difficult.  I ended up reading the spec and playing with
my editor; see below.

| I'm highly dubious of your charge of fig2dev spitting out bad PS.  That
| piece of software has been around for at least 15 years, so things
| should be (for the most part) ironed out.  I'm not saying it can't
| happen, I haven't used fig2dev or xfig in a while, I just don't think
| that's the "Occam's razor" solution.

You would think that xfig and fig2dev would just work.  I am using
"unstable", however, and there's always a possibility that something
was broken during maintenance.  fig2dev _does_ spit out bad PS because
ghostscript just chokes on it.  (unless it's valid PS and gs needs
fixing ...)

Check out Bug 177106 for details.  Upon reading more of the file
format and playing with my editor, I found that only one extraneous
(and obvious) compound object in the fig file (but not diplayed in
xfig) was causing the problem.  The fix was quite simple -- remove
those 5 or so lines and all was good (including actually using the
library object).  I added to the bug report and reassigned it to xfig
accordingly.  Once the BTS has processed my new message feel free to
add anything you might have to add.

| BTW: love your sigs!

Thanks!

-D

--
Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/