Changeover of SCSI buses

I have been using Debian for some time now, and over that time have acquired
several new items of hardware.

I have a CD writer, which is IDE, and therefore needs SCSI emulation. This
was always device 0,1,0 when specifed to cdrecord. I also have a digital
camera, which is USB mass storage.

I know cdrecord at least should be able to cope with me specifying /dev/sg1
so I may well try that. It seems that, at some time recently, the two buses
have swapped over, so the USB is now 0, and the IDE 1, so the CD writer is
now 1,1,0. The camera still mounts, as it is referred to as /dev/sda1.

Why might these buses have swapped over? If I can refer to the CD writer as
/dev/sg1 in cdrecord, this won't matter, but I consider this a strange thing
to happen anyway.

--
Phil Reynolds (PGP now available)
 o  ____ Internet: phil@tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95