using modeplot to find an Xwindow setup

my matrox millennium card is driving a memorex telex (mfg july
1993) monitor, for which i can't find any specs, even thru
google.

i've tried 'get-edid' and it borked my system beyond all hope --
a hardware reset was the only wakeup call it responded to!

okay, i've got "modeplot.sh" (and gnuplot) and running it shows
that i will be able to figure what resolutions are possible
(where the diagonals intersect the space between the two
horizontals (vertical refresh bounds) and the vertical-esque
sweeps (horizonal refresh bounds).

what other tools are available to snoop into my monitor's
abilities? clock speed -- unknown. vert refresh -- unknown.
horiz refresh -- unknown. aaugh!

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #75 from USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
:
Do you want to have MUTT IGNORE PGP-SIGNED MESSAGES?  To have
mutt to *not* verify PGP-signed messages, you can shut it off
by including
	set pgp_verify_sig = no
in your ~/.muttrc  Or you could use:
	set pgp_verify_sig = ask-no
to have mutt prompt you each time a signed message comes up,
with the default being not to verify.