[Fwd: Re: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related careers/schooling?]

Thus spake Scott  --sidewalking-- (sidewalking@webpipe.net):

> All,
>
> I am new to the Linux world and have settled on Debian as my
> winning horse for learning Linux, to the best of my abilities.
> The talk on this list is a little out of my comprehension now,
> as I am so new, but I am still taking general ed classes in
> college, and am hoping I can survive the math classes to pursue
> a CS degree.  There is a
> class or two on Unix essentials or Unix internals, but that is
> all.  Some programming, of course, is involved.
>
> I wonder if all (or most) of you are in similar careers and that
> is why you are so proficient with compiling and testing and
> tweaking all of this stuff.  Or is it just a hobby that has gone
> on for so long that you have advanced your knowledge of
> Linux/Debian to these levels that all of you are at?

Looking at some of the other repsonse I'm beginning to wonder if
I'm an exception...

MSc in Computer Science, I've been in the computer business since
mid-1974. Teaching it since 1991.

Wrote my first program (FORTRAN) while at school in 1968 -
it was for an IBM7090. Also while at university wrote programs in
BASIC (!!) for a PDP-8.

I've been running linux in my office since the summer of 1993
(386-40 8MB RAM) and permanently (iu.e. non-dual-boot) at home
since the
summer of 1999 (would have been earlier, but I had a Cyrix systemn
which wouldn't boot linux reliably).

Started with SLS 0.99pl12, moved to Slackware, RedHat, Mandrake
and finally the One True Distribution. (Alas, I mistakenly
installed Suse on my office machine - the department actually
bought a copy) and I'm still trying to find the time to remove
it...
--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be
understood| |Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be
listened to.           | |email: dbarker@camosun.bc.ca         |
                                  | |phone: +1 250 370 4452
       |         Hermann Scherchen.          |