RE: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related careers/schooling?

-----Original Message-----
From: Osamu Aoki [mailto:debian@aokiconsulting.com]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 10:06 AM
To: Scott --sidewalking--
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org; osamu@debian.org
Subject: Re: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related
careers/schooling?

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 04:30:54PM -0700, Scott  --sidewalking-- wrote:
> I wonder if all (or most) of you are in similar careers and that is
> why you are so proficient with compiling and testing and tweaking
> all of this stuff.  Or is it just a hobby that has gone on for so
> long that you have advanced your knowledge of Linux/Debian to these
> levels that all of you are at?

I am probably gonna get roasted for this but am coming at this from a
different perspective.  Yes I work in a technical field, though I do not
have a formal technical education.

I personally do not see Microsoft as the great Evil Empire of the world.  To
me, they are just another large company trying to make money any way they
think they can.  To me they are no different than any other large company.
Do they do less than honorable things, yes.  Do they make crappy software,
most of the time.  Look at AT&T.  The government broke them up to spark
competition.  After all the crap that has gone on we are basically heading
back to one or two providers for telco.  So I did not get into Linux for
"religious" reasons.

Though still very much a newbie, I have gotten into Linux because I am
intrigued by Linux, open source, and free software.  Unfortunately Microsoft
is my bread and butter and since I do not posses the Linux skills yet it
will probably remain that way for a while.  I wish I had more time to
develop my Linux skills but right now it's a pipe dream.  I even have a
business model surrounding Linux and open source software that I would like
to start up but I am WAY lacking in the skills and capital to get it going.

In other words, for me it isn't so much a hobby as it is an interest in
alternatives.  I personally do not see why the two cannot co-exist
(Microsoft and Linux that is). The business model that I have would be
centered around Linux but would not preclude the use of say Windoze on the
desktop side.  I am hoping that pretty soon I can actually start to become
some type of useful contributor to the open source community but only time
will tell.

OK, enough useless rambling, I'll shut up now.

Barry deFreese
NTS Technology Services Manager
Nike Team Sports
(949)-616-4005
Barry.deFreese@nike.com

"Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell