Re: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related careers/schooling?

* Lloyd Zusman (ljz@asfast.com) wrote:
> "Scott  --sidewalking--" <sidewalking@webpipe.net> writes:
>
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > I wonder if all (or most) of you are in similar careers and that is
> > why you are so proficient with compiling and testing and tweaking
> > all of this stuff.  Or is it just a hobby that has gone on for so
> > long that you have advanced your knowledge of Linux/Debian to these
> > levels that all of you are at?
> >
> > Just curious...
>
> Well, as for me, I wrote my first computer program in 1969, and we all
> used puchcards and paper tape and printouts, as well as console entry
> switches on the computer itself.  We programmed in Assembly Language,
> FORTRAN, PL/I, and some people used a new, state-of-the-art experimental
> language called Basic, which actually ran on an interactive terminal (a
> 10 character-per-second teletype that also accepted paper tape).

I can top that by a couple of years, since I started in 1965, but
didn't have the pleasure of working with Unix, since I shifted into
psychology (I'm now an Industrial-Organizational Psychologist, and I
won't explain because the explanation is proportionately as long as
the label).  I'd hardly consider myself a hacker, but I guess it's all
relative.  One of the things I particularly enjoy about this list is
that relatively-unlearned guys like me have an opportunity to offer
help to someone else.  If you've had to solve a problem, the odds are
that someone else will shortly have the same problem.  You help them
with it, and get to look like a genius.

Just for the record, I encountered Windows 1.0 at work, hated it, and
haven't used it willingly since, unless you count having to install it
so OS/2 could deal with M$-centric software.

Cheers

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.