Re: AW: CDRom and "zip" drive don't mount

    "Christof" == hurschler  <hurschler@annastift.de> writes:

    Christof> My question is: how come is this all so complicated?
    Christof> When I shove a Knoppix CD into my system it mounts
    Christof> almost everything (except the zip drive) automatically.
    Christof> I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a newly
    Christof> installed system to list all data devices it finds and
    Christof> ask me whether I want to mount them.  Or not??

Yes and no. Some people like automatic detection, they chose
distributions like Knoppix, Mandrake, Lindows etc.

Some people prefer not to have the automatic detection because (a) it
makes it impossible to install on some hardware and (b) it does not
detect some hardware correctly.

Debian seems designed to better support the second class of users. It
is all about choices, and the observation that you can't keep all
people happy all the time ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal