VIA bug?

Hi all,

After a fresh install on a newish PC, I get an error like this:

probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a
VIA686a
probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration

This machine also had problems such as the mouse freezing, and sound
playback (and recording) was slow, under WinXP - that's part of the
reason for switching, but I'm not sure if it's relevant.

Anyway, I've discovered that that message does not exist in the 2.4.18
kernel source - does that mean that kernel avoids the problem, and
therefore all my problems will be over once I upgrade?

Is this something I should be able to get a warranty replacement on?

Thanks,

Richard