Re: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related careers/schooling?

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 04:30:54PM -0700, Scott  --sidewalking-- wrote:
> I am new to the Linux world and have settled on Debian as my winning
> horse for learning Linux, to the best of my abilities.  The talk on
> this list is a little out of my comprehension now, as I am so new,
> but I am still taking general ed classes in college, and am hoping I
> can survive the math classes to pursue a CS degree.  There is a
> class or two on Unix essentials or Unix internals, but that is all.
> Some programming, of course, is involved.

That's certainly more than what I've gotten so far.  I attend an all
M$ high school (in an all M$ school board, quite annoying, I remember a
few times when viruses brought the networks down), where their most
advanced CS course is on Java (JDK1.1), but only covers some AWT and
non-standard packages.  I was considered a bit unusual among my
classmates for my distaste for GUIs and my predilection for going over
my code in hard copy in the library while waiting for the bus after my
classes ended.

> I wonder if all (or most) of you are in similar careers and that is
> why you are so proficient with compiling and testing and tweaking
> all of this stuff.  Or is it just a hobby that has gone on for so
> long that you have advanced your knowledge of Linux/Debian to these
> levels that all of you are at?

At this point I am just a high school student (OAC, formerly known as
grade 13) hoping to get accepted into university (and big scholarships).
My career won't get started for a while.  But if you want to know the
length of my experience, it is 1 year, 1 month, and 2 weeks.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com