The "c102" libraries want to kill KDE. How do I protect them?

In order to get a bug fixed, I'm doing an upgrade.  Dependencies on
dependencies on dependencies have started to pull in a bunch of the *c102
transition libraries...

...which conflict with most everything installed on the system (by design)...

...such as all of KDE:

    /usr/bin/apt-get -y -d dselect-upgrade
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      gnome-applets gnome-control-center gnome-games gnome-media gnome-panel
      gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-terminal gnome-utils kchart
      kde-theme-qnix kdeartwork-style kdebase kdebase-audiolibs kdebase-libs
      kdelibs3 kdelibs3-bin kdepasswd kdepim-libs kdevelop kdevelop-data
      kdf kdm kedit kfind kfloppy kfocus kformula kfract kgeo kghostview
      khexedit kiconedit kivio kjezz kjots kjumpingcube kleandisk klines klpq
      kmago kmahjongg kmail kmines kmix kmoon knetload knode knotes kodo
      koffice koffice-libs konq-plugins konqueror konquest konsole kontour
      konverse korganizer korn koshell kpackage kpaint kpat kpm kpresenter
      kprof kreatecd krecord kreversi kruler ksame kscd kscreensaver
      kshisen ksirc ksmiletris ksnake ksnapshot ksokoban kspaceduel kspread
      kstars ksysv ktalkd kteatime ktexmaker2 ktimer ktuberling ktux kugar
      kuser kview kvirc kweather kwin4 kword kworldclock libbonoboui2-0
      libbonoboui2-common libfam0 libgnome-desktop-0 libgnome2-0
      libgnomeui-0 libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgtk-common
      libkdegames libkdenetwork1 libkmid libkonq3 libpanel-applet2-0
      libpango-common libstlport4.5 rep-gtk-gnome yelp
      fontconfig libast2 libfam0c102 libmagick5.5.3 libssl0.9.7
      libstartup-notification0 libstlport4.5c102
    The following packages will be upgraded
      [ many ]
    182 packages upgraded, 7 newly installed, 116 to remove and 1  not upgraded.

How do I tell dselect (or apt-get, if that's what I need to use) to leave k*
the hell alone?  It bitches at me if I try to put them on hold manually.

Phil
(Yes, I would love to downgrade to testing, but dselect doesn't know what
to do when required packages don't exist in "more-stabler" distros.)

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002