Solved, maybe a bug? Re: ftp/telnet services down, fetchmail fails

My thanks to all who responded (including Thomas Shemanske via private
notes) to my messages (the first one appears to have arrived after the
second, at least here) about the RPC services.  The notes came from
different accounts as I scrambled about trying to get outside my LAN.

As mentioned by several, the problem turned out to be /etc/services, which
was overwritten somehow by /lib/security/pam_userdb.so (identical
sizes/dates and diff gave a blank, but different inodes).  A backup copy of
services worked, but I am going to look at the suggestion that other
critical files may be overwritten.

The first note I tried to send on this included a description about the
overwriting of /etc/issue as well.  This I also fixed, but I wonder if the
problems involve a rogue script somewhere in a .deb package.  I'd like to
file a bug against it, but don't know what eveidence to look for if this is
indeed the problem.  I'm still suspicious of pam.  Does anyone have a
suggestion about that?

Again, I appreciate the fast help!

Kenward

ps. copied to the other thread, too.

--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,