Re: Debian as a Personal Video Recorder??

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:31:23 +1100,
Rob Weir wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:20:54AM -0500, nick lidakis wrote:
> > Is there anyone here on the list that is using Debian as a personal
> > video recorder? Anybody able to get an unattended machine to record a
> > couple of different shows a week? I think I'm gonna need a WinTV card,
> > as these seem to be linux supported, but apt-cache search doesn't turn
> > up any relevant software? Anyone successfully using Freevo??
>
> Dunno if it does what you want, but there's a 'vcr' package in sid (at
> least):

>  segments of video from any device supported by video4linux. It doesn't
>  require a graphical environment, and you can use all popular windows
>  codecs (like DivX, Indeo Video 5, etc) because VCR is built around the
>  avifile library.

For playing, transcoding, and yes recording, I recommend
mplayer. For the "unattended" part, use with good old reliable,
"at" or maybe even cron. Here's simple command to record a TV
show using mjpeg codec:

aumix -i 50 -l 50 ; mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:norm=ntsc:chanlist=us-cable:channel=36:width=352:height=240:forceaudio:forcechan=2:adevice=/dev/dsp -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -oac pcm -o tvcapture@`date +%Y`-`date +%m%d`-`date +%H%M`.avi