ipchains and DHCP with kernel 2.4.20

We are using kernel 2.4.20. When we try to use
ipchains it tells us it is not compatible with the
kernel. Is this because we have left out a kernel
option, or are ipchains no longer supported?

Also, we are trying to use DHCP to connect to our
cable modem. We can ping systems on our ISP's net,
but cannot get to systems outside the ISP's net.
Does anyone have any ideas about what could be
going on?

Thanks in advance

Geoff