Re: /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting overwritten

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:23:13PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 16:25, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > great, i just modified the script to add my info in each time.  that
> > should take care of it.  thanks!
>
> Of course, if apt-get ever updates dhclient, the package may overwrite
> /etc/dhclient-script, so keep a seperate copy!!!!

No, it won't. /etc/dhclient-script is marked as a conffile, so if you've
made local changes then they will be preserved; you'll be prompted to
merge changes from the package's copy if there are any.

It's a general principle of Debian policy that you should never be
forced to keep a separate copy of locally changed files in /etc out of
fear that a package may overwrite them [1], so even if they aren't
conffiles packages have an absolute obligation to preserve your changes
in that directory (although there's still some debate over whether big
"do not change this file by hand; use this tool instead" markers at the
top of files are acceptable). If you find that a package overwrites
locally changed files in /etc on upgrade, please file a bug, probably
with the "serious" severity.

Somebody did a survey before woody released of packages with this
problem, and we did a mass fixing session. I think the situation should
be pretty good now on this front.

[1] The subject of this thread is a counterexample, of course. Heh. I
    guess you just have to accept that DHCP clients need to edit
    /etc/resolv.conf in order to do their job. Is it possible to put
    comments in /etc/resolv.conf? If so, maybe they should start doing
    so.