Re: exim filter + spamassassin ?

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 03:39:39PM -0600, will trillich wrote:
| On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:52:15PM -0600, will trillich wrote:
| > according to the docs that come with spamassassin (i've got
| > woddy up now, and mainly for this reason)

Go with sid as far as SA is concerned.  The newer the ruleset and
scores are the more accurate they'll be.

| > what machinations are required to get spamassassin up even tho
| > i'm already using the .forward for filtering? or, is system-wide
| > a better way to go?

I recommend system-wide.

| let me be a bit more clear. :)
|
| i can pipe an incoming message, using the exim filter facility,
| thru any script or program, including spamassassin. but exim
| doesn't want any output from such a pipe; it just wants the
| return status for "okay, it's been dealt with" or "much badness
| occurred".

Indeed, that is a limitation of the exim filter which is caused by
exim's architecture.

| spamassassin, otoh, takes a message (say, via stdin)
| and scans it, adds its headers and spits it back out -- perhaps
| to the spool file (bypassing the remainder of the exim filter!)
| or to stdout (which exim ignores).

SA gives the modified message on stdout, but exim doesn't ignore it.
If exim sees data on the pipe's stdout then it decides something must
have gone wrong because it doesn't expect any response.

| how to get exim filter and spamassassin to harmoniously coexist?
| or is this difficult for a reason?

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/config_docs

Since exim doesn't have any concept of "use this program to modify the
message itself right here and now", instead you must use one delivery
to create the modified message then have it reinjected into exim's
queue for a second delivery (as if it was a new message) where you
really want it.  The alternative is to use the local_scan() API added
in exim 4.  (I'm using the latter, as mentioned on the document above)

-D

--
The fear of the Lord leads to life:
Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/