Re: Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Digital

Thanks Jeff,

I just took a few stabs at getting at the BIOS config (I'm not very
experienced with that kind of thing). This machine used to be corporate
and I suspect custom stuff in the BIOS. For example, it wants a boot
password.

When the machine gets to the point where you would normally see
something like "press this to boot, press that for setup", all it
offers is F1 one for boot and F11 for a (corporate) network boot.
I've tried the other function keys but no avail.
Are there any standard key combinations for this kind of thing? Or is
there a GNU/Linux way of getting at the bios?

The whole approach makes little sense to me, since, without the card, I
always got warning messages from KDE about how there is no sound
hardware, which went away as soon as the SB card was there, so I would
have supposed if the card is detected and indeed used, it's sound jacks
would be active.
After all, outputting signal on the card's output jacks (which are
physically part of the card) seems to me enterly up to the card itself.
If the mainboard's jacks also output signal, why should that conflict?
I can understand that the BIOS can deactivate the card, but judging
from lsmod, this doesn't seem to be the case.
I would suppose that "use the card but not the jacks" could be the kind
of message that can be transmitted via /etc/modules.conf and the driver
modules, but how could the BIOS transmit such a message to the card?

Lukas