Re: apt, dpkg and kernel packages

Hello

colin@electriciq.net (<colin@electriciq.net>) wrote:

> I am looking to upgrade the kernel on my machine to deal with the
> vulnerability that knocked over the main Debian servers. From what I
> understand, a kernel upgrade is something that isn't done
> automatically by apt.
>
> Can someone explain how it is that my machine even boots when
> according the package manager, there is no kernel image installed?
>
> Package: kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
>
> host:~# uname -a
> Linux host 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown

The installation kernel is not registered to the package management
system. Simply install the package, this will solve your problem. Your
kernel will be overwritten. Alternatively, get some package that was
specifically built for your architecture:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-$arch

where $arch is 386, 586tsc, 686, k6 or k7. Your current kernel will not
be removed or overwritten if you do this. Rememger that the 2.4.18
images except the bf kernel use an initrd.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen