Re: [OT] Latex Q - page number appears on pg 1 with empty pagestyle

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 05:03:25AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
| I am writing a document with latex using the article document
| class. The problem is that when setting \pagestyle{empty} either in
| the preamble or after the \begin{document} I still get a page number on
| the first page.

Odd, isn't it?

| Since there are guidelines for submitting this one this
| is a big no no.

| Any idea on how to get read of this page number (I don't mind hacking
| into the style files if needed, but I don't know raw tex so a little
| help can go a lot of way)

I have a "template" that vim automatically inserts into a new ".tex"
buffer.  It looks roughly like this (it actually has more boilerplate
in it, and a lot of stuff I just want available but usually delete) :

\documentclass[dvips,12pt,letterpaper]{article}

% block style alignment with manual indentation possible
\newlength{\DSHindent} \setlength{\DSHindent}{\parindent}
\newcommand{\Nest}[1]{\\ \mbox{\hspace{#1\DSHindent}}}
\setlength{\parindent}{0in}
\setlength{\parskip}{9pt}

%\pagestyle{empty} % no page numbers

\begin{document}

\title{*title*}
\author{Derrick Hudson}
\maketitle
\thispagestyle{empty}  % no number on the title page
\cleardoublepage

\end{document}

As you can see, I explicitly set \thispagestyle{empty} on the title
page (page 1) and then uncomment the \pagestyle{empty} line in the
preamble if I really don't want page numbers.

I don't know why the page number is still put on the first page, but
explicitly avoiding it works.

-D

--
\begin{humor}