Re: enable usb mouse & DRIScreenInit failed

Terry Smith wrote:
I cannot get the xfree server to start or my usb mouse enabled. I'm not sure whether the problem lies with the module for my video card or the settings for my monitor (or both). I've tried several hor. and vert. settings with the same results.
Below is the info from xfree log- thanks for your help.

<snip>

(WW) No core pointer registered
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices

X won't start without a pointer (mouse), so focus on that problem first.

If it were me, I'd install gpm and get that working (so that you can separate the mouse issues from the X issues). Then I'd worry about getting X to start.

Since it's a USB mouse, I suspect you don't have the necessary USB modules installed. What does "lsmod" report (and maybe take a look at "usbview")?

--
Kent