Re: jabber

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:49:05PM -0500, Matt Giddings wrote:
> Anybody out there successful in getting jabberd running on their
> system?

Several of us, myself included.

> I'm not able to connect remotly, only using localhost as my
> hostname.

Have you configured your Jabber server's hostname?  In the debian
package you can do this in /etc/jabber/jabber.cfg.

> I have opened ports 5222 & 5223

That'll cover clear and ssl client connections to the server, but will
not allow other servers to connect to your server, for that you'll need
5269.

> and followed the quick start steps from the documentation
> (http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/1.4/doc/adminguide).  I make it
> partially way through Checkpoint #2, my login dies on step 4 of CP#4.

Have you tried launching the server from the init script (after
configuring your desired hostname in /etc/jabber/jabber.cfg) and using a
normal client to register a user?

--
Jamin W. Collins

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. --Aldous Huxley,
"Proper Studies", 1927