Re: Logging from Linksys BEFSX41 Router to Debian Server (progress)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: Logging from Linksys BEFSX41 Router to Debian Server (progress)

I wrote an SNMP listener in Python that updates a mysql table.  I was using it primarily to log incoming connection attempts (i.e. port scans) since my linksys should never have inbound traffic for most of the common server ports.  It?s somewhat like a honeypot, but only able to log connection attempts.  The Python code could easily be modified to log all of the inbound connections and/or the outbound connections.  You could then use any favorite tool to query and manipulate the db table.

Michael

Michael,

    That sounds like a great project. And it sounds like it is doing what you need done. I had some success in logging to syslog (installed snmpd on my PC). I decided to discontinue as my PC is low on resources (memory, processor speed, disk size) - and logging was cutting into the main purpose of the PC.

    I'll revisit logging once I pick up a slightly beefier PC (or two).

Bruce