Re: Compiling a kernel without making a .deb package.

Joseph Jones wrote:

I can compile a kernel into a .deb package as described in the newbiedoc, but I need to compile a kernel with drivers for my laptop's NIC so I can make a rescue disc to do a network install from. Could anyone advise me as to how I do this, if possible in relation to the instructions in the newbiedoc?

Thanks :)

Joe

Download a kernel tarball from http:// www.kernel.org & open it into a directory on the compiling system /usr/src/linux ; make sure you have the correct modutils installed for the kernel version being compiled.Read and follow exactly the instructions contained in the tarball for compiling the kernel. Depending on your hardware requirement, this may be easy ....or not:-)

John Foster