Re: PCMCIA Woes

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 05:17:07PM -0600, Peter Quackenbush wrote:
> I have a compaq armada m300 trying to configure a 3Com 10/100 LAN Cardbus.
> Model 3CCFE575BT.  I have tried to get pcmcia working on sarge, but to no
> avail.

It's supported by the 3c59x driver.  You *do* have that one, don't you?

> I would like it to work with dhcp. I have the same problem working
> with every kernel I've tried (even ones I've built myself.) Running
> /etc/init.d/pcmcia start activates the card and cardctl status and cardctl
> ident both show the correct card. lspci -v also shows it.

It's not controlled by PCMCIA.  Not without a lot of hackery.  It's
controlled by Kernel Card Services (most or all CardBus cards seem to be).
If that's not enabled in your kernel, it needs to be.  You need
CONFIG_HOTPLUG, CONFIG_PCMCIA, but not CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI.

> But when I run ifconfig, it only shows the loopback interface. I cannot
> get eth0 to show up.

It's there, it's just not configured yet.  You can see it if you explicitly
ask for eth0.

Install hotplug, read README.Debian, configure /etc/network/interfaces
appropriately, you're done.

I'd like to hear about it if you get yours to survive a suspend.  My 575 on
a Thinkpad 600E does not.  I have apmd eject it whenever the laptop goes to
sleep.  In fact, no CardBus cards do.

--
 Marc Wilson |     "Ubi non accusator, ibi non judex."  (Where there is
 msw@cox.net |     no police, there is no speed limit.)  -- Roman Law,